Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pancake Mix Reviews


So as many of you know I am a picky pancake eater. I am not the biggest fan of pancakes made from a mix but I have tried a few. The two mixes that we will look at are “Red Velvet Pancake Mix” which you can purchase at World Market and “Chocolate Chip Pancake & Waffle Mix” from Williams-Sonoma.

Red Velvet:
The red velvet pancakes were extremely easy to make. All you needed to do was mix in a cup of water. The batter makes 8-10 pancakes which is pretty good for two or three people. They were hard to cook since you would have to re-grease the pan between flipping the pancakes so that they wouldn’t stick. The box recommends topping the pancakes with chocolate chips, cream cheese frosting, powdered sugar, or maple syrup. Arielle tried them with cream cheese frosting and I tried them with maple syrup. They had a good texture but the taste was bad. They tasted like there was plastic in them, like when you leave food in a Zip-Lock bag too long. I am not sure if it is due to the packaging it comes in or if it is part of the mix such as the dried egg, butter, and preservatives. Overall they weren’t the best pancakes especially when you hear red velvet. I was glad I tried them though since they do look really good on the box. ($3.99 8oz)

Chocolate Chip:
The chocolate chip pancakes were a little more work since you need to add milk, butter, and an egg. The batter size was about 8 pancakes but you don’t use all of the mix for one sitting unless you make a large batch. They were easy to cook and only needed cooking spray once before you poured the batter. They flipped very easy and surprisingly the chocolate chips didn’t stick to the pan. The pancakes’ were very good. They texture was light and fluffy. The small chocolate chips were the perfect size to allow for a taste of chocolate without overpowering the pancake flavor. Arielle had hers plain and I had mine with maple syrup and we were both very pleased that a mix could taste so good. ($11.95 1lb 4oz)
www.williams-sonoma.com

Conclusion:
Overall the Chocolate Chip pancakes were much better than the Red Velvet pancakes but I did enjoy being able to try such unique pancake mixes. I received both of the mixes as gifts in the past and am always excited to try new foods as long as they aren’t too extreme. I still like my homemade whole wheat pancakes but I wouldn’t mind having more of the Chocolate Chip pancakes from Williams-Sonoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment