Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Search for Pizza - Dallas 1

As many of you know my wife and I just moved to Dallas, TX. We love pizza and I like to think that I am quite the connoisseur of pizza. However, I am not a pizza snob where I only like one type of pizza. I have had amazing pizza in Chicago, Spokane, Seattle, and Ann Arbor and they are all very different but great in their own way.

So now that we're in Dallas I am looking for great pizza and so far the results aren't good. We tried Olivella's which was rated in the top eight pizza places in Dallas by the Dallas Observer, USA Today rated it in the 51 greatest pizzerias in the US, and Rachel Ray claims it is "the most incredible pizza you'll ever eat!" My response, you must have never had truly great Pizza. The places was small which made it seem like this could be a unique and amazing experience. The sauce was subpar and as my wife says, "it tastes like Campbell's tomato soup," the crust was okay but nothing special, and the center of the pizza was soggy. I know many pizza connoisseurs claim that pizza is supposed to have a soggy center but the pizza was limp and lifeless. The toppings were mediocre with little flavor and again the sauce was bland. They claim on their website that their recipes come from the third ever established pizzeria in Naples, Italy and that the recipes have been passed down through the family. Overall I would give Olivella's one out of five stars for a sad attempt at pizza.

We will continue trying pizza in Dallas and I will write reviews on the pizza. A quick shout out to my favorite Ann Arbor pizzeria NeoPapalis. If you are ever in Ann Arbor and are looking for great pizza this is the place to stop. Joe Sheena is one of the owners and he makes amazing pizza. Check out a video on the place http://www.neopapalis.com/AboutUs.aspx. The video says to use a fork and knife but I would disagree, I fold it New Yorker style.

No comments:

Post a Comment