Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lentil Chili


One of my favorite events in Pullman, WA (where I did my undergraduate studies) is The National Lentil Festival. The event occurs every August and has small street vendors, 5k run, live music, wine and beer tasting, and a whole lot more that occurs over a Friday and Saturday. My favorite part is the giant stainless steel pot of lentil chili because free chili is given to everyone that comes. I love it so much I usually have three bowls when I go. The recipe below is from their website with a few changes that I have made so that it is easier to make and is a much more manageable size. The reason I love this chili is because it has a clean taste unlike most chilies that are greasy. For vegans, or those that don’t consume milk, just leave out the Mexican chocolate. For more information on The National Lentil Festival or for the original recipe visit their website, www.LentilFest.com.
 
My wife Arielle with Taste T. Lentil. The large pot of chili can be seen in the background.
 

World’s Largest Bowl of Lentil Chili

 
Cups    Lentils
6 ½ Cups   Water
½               Onion
2 Stick       Celery
               Large carrots
8 oz           Tomato puree
½ Cup       Salsa
1 Tb          Chili powder
1 ½ tsp      Cumin
1 ½ tsp      Granulated garlic (or 2 cloves fresh garlic)
1 Tb          Granulated sugar
¾ Tb         Salt
¾ tsp         Crush red chili pepper flakes
¼ tsp         Cinnamon
1 oz           Mexican chocolate
               Bell pepper
1 ½ tsp      Chopped cilantro
 
Cornstarch Slurry:
1/3 cup Water and 1/8 Cup Cornstarch (combine into a slurry)
 
 
1.      Mix all ingredients, except cilantro and cornstarch slurry, in a large pot. Bring the chili to a boil and cook for about an hour. Make sure to stir every ten minutes to prevent the chili from burning.
2.      Once the lentils are tender add the cornstarch slurry and stir the chili well.
3.      Before serving stir in the cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment